Monday, August 6, 2012

Plein Air Artists


Sunny Marsh 3 X 3, Artist: Cindy Rawlins 




Plein Air: Watercolorists

Plein Air is French for painting outdoors on location from life. 

This is a retrospective of 40 years of painting on location in 47 

states in the US and Virgin Islands.



 Maine Landscape Artist Tom Curry: Pastels


 


Artist Notes: Life on the Maine coast is charged with a brilliance, a wildness. The waters are a living green ecosystem, radiating wonder. There's an urgency to my work because so many of these places are being lost to development.


Nature, ever changing, offers countless compositions. I want to evoke a place, time and atmosphere in my work. The natural world is my big studio, filled with opportunities to observe nature and explore its seamless miracle. Open air painting is a selection process: this sky, these waves, this foreground. It's not a fragment, but a series of experiences not limited to space and time like a photograph. Many places feel sacred to me, places where the landscape evokes a sense of stewardship and reverence.



I have worked with pastel more than 20 years. The medium's fluidity and immediacy allow me to capture the ever changing light, water, and atmosphere. I often return to work in the same locations with infinite daily results.



Many artists influence my work: Ferdinand Hodler, Wolf Kahn, Marsden Hartley, Tom Thompson and Rockwell Kent. I also find inspiration in Jean Baptiste-Camille Corot's paintings of the Italian countryside, as well in the work of Edgar Degas, Fairfield Porter and Edward Hopper.



For more info go here.





The World Renowned Hampton's Artists

 

You might also like


No comments: