Friday, March 12, 2010

Ventura Highway....


Oval Map Ring - Size 5.75 $85.00 USD, Etsy
by:
art925

"A roadhog is a fellow who meets you more than half way."




USA jigsaw brooch $8.00 USA, Etsy
by:
MrPS

"When you walk with God, you get where he's going." Anon.




Oregon Black Metal Tray $15.00 USD, Etsy
by: SimplyDivineLove

The road is long and hard and difficult. Never be afraid. You won't be if you understand where you are and why you are there. " Catherine de Heuck Doherty





Ventura Highway - America (1972)

Chewin' on a piece of grass walkin' down the road
tell me, how long you gonna stay here Joe?
Some people say this town don't look good in snow
You don't care, I know.

Ventura Highway, in the sunshine
Where the days are longer
The nights are stronger than moonshine
You're gonna go I know

Cause the free wind is blowin' through your hair
and the day surround your daylight there
Seasons cryin' no despair
Alligator lizards in the air


Wishin' on a fallin' star
Watchin' for the early train
Sorry boy, but I've been hit by purple rain
Aw, come on Joe, you can always change your name
Thanks alot son, just the same


Ventura Highway, in the sunshine
Where the days are longer
The nights are stronger than moonshine!
you're gonna go, I know


Cause the free wind is blowin' through your hair
and the days surround your daylight there
seasons cryin' no despair
Alligator lizards in the air
in the air


"The vocalist Dewey Bunnell has said that the lyric "alligator lizards in the air" in the song is a reference to the shapes of clouds in the sky.

Dewey adds. "It reminds me of the time I lived in Omaha as a kid and how we'd walk through cornfields and chew on pieces of grass. There were cold winters, and I had images of going to California. So I think in the song I'm talking to myself, frankly: 'How long you gonna stay here, Joe?' I really believe that 'Ventura Highway' has the most lasting power of all my songs. It's not just the words — the song and the track have a certain fresh, vibrant, optimistic quality that I can still respond to.

"That's Gerry and Dan doing a harmony on two guitars on the intro. I remember us sitting in a hotel room, and I was playing the chords, and Gerry got that guitar line, and he and Dan worked out that harmony part. That's really the hook of the song." The song also contains the phrase "purple rain," later the title of a Prince song, although it is not known if there is actually any connection.

The song "Ventura Highway" went on to become a #8 single for "America" - Wacky Wiki


No comments: